Veteran Valor Forums  

Go Back   Veteran Valor Forums > Veteran Valor Main Forum > Rifles

Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Non Timebo Mala

Default Why Does Everybody Pick on My Home Defense Carbine?

It is accurate. It eats anything and everything it has been fed. It is affordable. It is so extremely low maintenance that the manufacturer recommends doing nothing whatsoever to it until at least 1000 rounds have gone through it. Some people say its ugly. The guy that talked me into at least trying one used one in 9mm Luger to kill coyotes on his farmstead out to 140 yards with his.

That last bit - a pistol caliber carbine in 9mm both accurate and deadly well past 100 yards - is what really sold me on ignoring all the internet naysayers and getting one; I've never been sorry. Thanks, Cowboy.

So, by now you have to be wondering just who makes this pistol caliber carbine that I'm raving about. Are you ready? WARNING: If you're a gun snob, quit reading right now!

Okay, it's a Hi-Point! Surprised? Most people are, but don't let all the bad press they get turn you off to one of the handiest little guns you'll ever find. I got mine in .40 S&W and it is everything my sadly departed friend said. I can hold ten rounds into a 4" circle at 100 yards, and believe the gun could do better if shot by someone without my tired old eyes.

Anyone looking for a home defense carbine, truck gun, or general purpose long gun in the same caliber as their handgun should check this out. Ugly? Well, maybe ... but considering the accuracy, ease of maintenance, and minimal asking price they start looking better and better as you use them!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 4095..bmp (146.7 KB, 10 views)
John Steinbeck
from his unfinished work, The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights

The Following User Says Thank You to Danang Sailor For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:10 PM
The Old Curmudgeon

Default Re: Why Does Everybody Pick on My Home Defense Carbine?

I like em, so you will never hear me rag on anybody about them.

I picked the M1 carbine for one of my home defense firearms, but I love old stuff and will always pick old stuff to use when in good shape. All my old stuff still looks new, because ever since I was a kid and got my ass whupped by my Dad for not taking care of my bike, I turned over a new leaf.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Administrator

I have never shot a carbine. I will have to buy one. I've wanted to for a while now but something else always comes up.

Just checked carbines at Buds. Lots for over 600 but Hi Point for less than 300. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ifles/Hi-Point

US Navy Veteran
Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Marlin Camp 9 carbine.

Fun shooter but I don't use it as my home defense gun.

I thought I read that Ruger and Marlin stopped making the 9mm Carbines due to low demand, a lot being because of Hi-Point & Kel-Tec's offerings.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Non Timebo Mala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
I have a Marlin Camp 9 carbine.

Fun shooter but I don't use it as my home defense gun.

I thought I read that Ruger and Marlin stopped making the 9mm Carbines due to low demand, a lot being because of Hi-Point & Kel-Tec's offerings.

Both have been out of production for quite a few years, although I have no idea what prompted the discontinuance. At one time I really wanted one of the Marlins but by the time my budget caught up with my want they were no longer available.
John Steinbeck

Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Non Timebo Mala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I have never shot a carbine. I will have to buy one. I've wanted to for a while now but something else always comes up.

Just checked carbines at Buds. Lots for over 600 but Hi Point for less than 300. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ifles/Hi-Point
One thing I didn't mention about the Hi-Points; they are noticeably heavier than you'd expect in a carbine. The weight isn't a problem for me but it is something to consider if you plan on carrying it through rough country for hours at a time.

As noted in my OP, I have a firm belief that the cowmen of the old West were right in wanting a long gun that used the same ammo as their sidearm. Needing to carry just one caliber ammo that worked in both just makes sense to me. I have both handguns and rifles in various calibers but if we come to TEOTWAWKI I'll be counting on a Sig P250 and the Hi-Point carbine, both in .40 S&W.

Let me know what you end up with should you decide to buy.
John Steinbeck